How to stand for election
Application forms are available from Monday 1st June to Monday 12th October 2020.
The voting will take place on 23rd November to 30th November.
Declaration events revealing the new members will happen countywide during the week of the 7th December 2020.
The first sitting for new members will be on Saturday 16th January 2021 at County Hall Chelmsford, with a training residential to be held in February half term 2021.
As a YEA member you need to meet the following criteria:
- The minimum age to join the YEA is 11 years and must be attending secondary school. The maximum age is 19 years.
- You must either live, work or study in the district you wish to represent
- You need to attend the monthly meetings plus events and training as required
We also expect you to:
- represent all young people in your district
- feed back to local young people on the YEA's work
- check your emails regularly and keep in contact with staff and your peers
- serve from 1st January 2021 to 31st December 2022 if you are elected
- make your own way to meetings.
These days feature activities and information run by current
YEA members and staff.
At the information day you'll have the opportunity to:
- Find out more about the YEA and what it’s like to be a member
- Meet existing YEA members and ask them questions
- Find out what YEA members have done in previous years
- Meet the staff that work with the YEA
- Have support to write your candidate statement
- If more people attend than there are spaces on the ballot paper
a vote will be held on the day. Candidates not successful on the day
will be informed about other local opportunities.
This year the information days will take place in your local area during October half term.
All information days run between 10am and 3pm.
Please get in touch if you have any questions or worries about getting involved.
"At the start I thought it was all about politics but now I know it's more about teamwork and giving the youth a voice." Jack, Age 15, Braintree, YEA.