How to stand for election
Application forms are available from 1st October 2020 to 5th February 2021.
The voting will take place on 12th April 2021 to 30th April 2021
Declaration events revealing the newly elected members will happen countywide during the week of the 10th May 2021.
The first sitting for new members will be on Saturday 29th May 2021 at County Hall Chelmsford, with a training residential to be held in June half term 2021.
As a YEA member you need to meet the following criteria:
- The minimum age to join the YEA is 11 years and must be attending secondary school. The maximum age is 19 years and up to 25 years with additional needs.
- You must either live, work or study in the district you wish to represent
- You need to attend the monthly meetings plus events and training as required
We also expect you to:
- Represent all young people in your district
- Feed back to local young people on the YEA's work
- Check your emails regularly and keep in contact with staff and your peers
- Serve from 1st June 2021 to 31st May 2023 if you are elected
- Make your own way to meetings.
These days feature activities and information run by current
YEA members and staff.
At the Hustings day you'll have the opportunity to:
- Find out more about the YEA and its benefits as well as what it’s like to be a member
- Meet existing YEA members and have the opportunity to ask them questions
- Find out what YEA members have done in previous years
- Meet the staff that work with the YEA
- Have support to write your candidate statement
- If more people attend than there are spaces on the ballot paper
a vote will be held on the day. Candidates not successful on the day
will be informed about other local opportunities.
This year the information days will take place in your local area during February half term.
All information days run between 10am and 3pm.
Please get in touch if you have any questions or worries about getting involved.
"At the start I thought it was all about politics but now I know it's more about teamwork and giving the youth a voice." Jack, Age 15, Braintree, YEA.